This is poisoning from swallowing, breathing in, or touching benzene. Benzene is a clear liquid chemical that has a sweet smell.
Reference from A.D.A.M.
Back to TopPoisonous Ingredient
Back to TopWhere Found
Various paint, lacquer, and varnish removers
Multiple industrial solvents
Additives to gasoline and other fuels
Note: This list may not be all inclusive.
Back to TopSymptoms
Lungs and chestTight chest
Rapid, shallow breathing
Eyes, ears, nose, and throatBlurred vision
Small red dots on skin
Loss of appetite
Heart and bloodIrregular heartbeat
Euphoria (feeling of being drunk)
Benzene is extremely poisonous. Poisoning can cause rapid death. However, deaths have occurred as late as 3 days after the poisoning. This happens because the lungs stop working (respiratory arrest), the heart stops (cardiac arrest), or permanent brain damage occurs.
People who are continuously exposed to low-levels of benzene can also become sick. The most common problems are blood diseases, including severe anemia, leukemia, and lymphoma. People who work with benzene products should only do so in areas with good air flow. They should also use protective gloves and eye glasses.